Simple answer: yes, you can use your AirPods on a plane. However, there are some challenges and some things you need to remember. This article will show you everything you need to know about using AirPods on a plane. So, without further ado, let’s get right into it. When it comes to affordable noise-canceling Bluetooth headphones, Apple AirPods are hard to beat.
Can AirPods work on planes?
Your AirPods will work on planes, provided they are wireless headphones. As you’re probably aware, the only way to connect wireless headphones is by pairing them with your phone or tablet.
However, the catch here is that if an airplane doesn’t have wifi service to give out its own Bluetooth signal, you must pair your AirPods directly with your Bluetooth devices. This process is the same as pairing them with any other Bluetooth device, such as your laptop or tablet.
How to use AirPods on a plane?
You need to establish a wireless connection to be able to use your AirPods while you’re on a plane. The AirPods are lightweight. Any airline will allow you to take them with you on planes. Now let’s help you use the AirPods while you’re on a plane.
• You need to follow the following procedure to use your AirPods on a plane.
• You have to turn on the Airplane mode of your mobile phones from the Action Center or the Settings.
• After the Airplane mode is on, tap on the Bluetooth icon to enable Bluetooth.
• Now you can connect your AirPods to the entertainment system on the back of your Airplane seats.
How to use AirPods on the TVs on the plane?
Wireless headphones are convenient and stylish, but there are some caveats to them. They are not universal like other wired headphones. You cannot use them on every device, everywhere.
We recommend you keep an extra pair of wired earbuds just to be safe. They can be used anywhere on most devices without any hassle. But if you insist on using your AirPods only, here’s how to do it.
Get a Bluetooth adapter
We recommend you take some short-range Bluetooth accessories with you when you’re traveling. Having an adapter is a must if you want to use AirPods on a plane. There are no alternatives if you’re going to connect AirPods to the entertainment system of the aircraft. You can easily find them online.
Bluetooth adapters come in different quality and price ranges. They work with most other Bluetooth headphones as well. Twelve South and Hagibis have some of the best Bluetooth adapters. Every model of these manufacturers has specialties and offers value for money.
Now, let’s tell you how you can connect the AirPods to the airplane TVs.
• Make sure the adapter is adequately charged before you get on the plane.
• Press and hold the power button of the Bluetooth adapter to enable the Bluetooth mode and pair it.
• The color of the status light should change, or you should hear a sound when the connection is established.
• You need to plug the adapter into the system and wear your AirPods to see if they work.
• If it doesn’t work, turn off the adapter and try again.
The method may have issues sometimes, but it totally works. Depending on the airline you choose, you will get a wifi connection. If they don’t offer that freely, spend some dollars and get yourself their wifi service.
The good and bad things about using AirPods on a plane
Both the good and the bad things about using AirPods on an aircraft have been drawn up from traveling experiences.
The Good Things:
• They’re wireless, so you can move around more freely without having to worry about cables or wires.
• They activate Siri – this is great for when you don’t feel like pulling out your phone to type something in because it saves time! And if you have a lot to do, you definitely want all the time you can save.
• they’re super small and easy to store away when not in use
• they charge in a little charging case when they’re not being used, so if they die on you while your flying, you can just throw them in the case, and they’ll be fully charged when you take them out
• no more worrying about forgetting your earphones or having to carry around the cord that may get tangled up with other people’s cords
The Bad Things:
• The battery life of AirPods is poor compared to many other TWS devices.
• if the battery dies while you’re on a flight, it means you can’t listen to anything (music, movies, etc.)
• If the charging case is dead, that is even worse because you will not be able to charge the buds unless you have the cable.
• You cannot use AirPods with the entertainment system of planes directly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is AirPods comfortable for long flights?
AirPods are not ideal for long-wearing. They can cause minor pains in your ears. The ear tips can be adjusted or changed, but it is not enough to give you comfort during long-wearing.
Is the noise-canceling feature of AirPods good during flights?
Do AirPods have long enough battery life for flights?
AirPods don’t have a long battery life compared to their rivals. But if you charge the case entirely, it should last you until you land. Take the charger with you so you can charge the case on the plane. So, if you remember these, the AirPods will last.
Can you talk to people while using AirPods?
Yes, you can. You need to turn off the active noise cancellation feature of your AirPods. Then you can easily talk to others. However, if you have a first-generation AirPod, you won’t need to do it as it doesn’t come with a noise cancellation feature.
AirPods are not the best choice for listening to music on a flight. But if you are deep into the Apple ecosystem and prefer the TWS devices over the wired ones, you can take them with you.
Remember the things we told you, and you should be able to use the AirPods during your flights without any issues. If you enjoyed this article and want more content like this, let us know.