Being an Xbox gaming freak, you may always want to play video games like FIFA, Grand Theft Auto V, or Forza Horizon 2. But you may not always have the facilities to play. For instance, if your TV breaks down, you won’t be able to connect the Xbox to it. What if you don’t have a high-definition television to begin with? You could wonder how you’ll play these games on the Xbox.
You can play games on Xbox 360 by using your laptop as a monitor. There are various ways to do this, and they are not difficult at all.
To know How to use a laptop as a monitor for Xbox 360, go through this article. I will walk you through the procedure step by step in the most detailed way. Let’s have a glance at how you’ll link the two devices together.
Unboxing Xbox 360:
A standard Xbox 360 game system has the following components:
- A/V cord
- Availability of power
- Cord for power
- 2AA batteries are required
- Headset with a wire
- A controller which is wireless
- Instructions for use
How to Use a Laptop as a Monitor for Xbox 360?
How to Connect Xbox 360 to PC (Laptop) Using HDMI Cable?
When using any laptop like a monitor for the Xbox 360, an HDMI cable is a simple way to connect it. You don’t have to purchase HDMI cables separately because Xbox 360 and most laptops come with them. But unfortunately, there is a possibility that the HDMI port will not be listed in the laptop’s table of contents. In this scenario, we recommend the alternative method of connecting Xbox and resolving the issue.
Step 1: Connection Requirements.
To begin, gather all of the items you’ll require to connect the two gadgets. An HDMI cable (1.3 HDMI cable rated for 1080p is recommended), an XBOX 360, and a laptop with HDMI Input Connection are required.
If you don’t know what an HDMI cable is and what it looks like, then allow me to tell you that HDMI is a connector and wire that allows audio and video streams of good bandwidth and quality to be transmitted between devices. They’re a little bigger than conventional USB, trapezium-shaped, having opposing slot sides that aren’t the same length. A 2-meter Super High-Speed cable (HDMI) is included with the console of Xbox Series X, which supports 2.1 features of HDMI. To play 4K games at 120Hz, you’ll need this cable.
Step 2: Make a distinction between HDMI input and HDMI output.
The Xbox is the output device, and it feeds data to the HDMI input device. Laptops, unlike televisions, have a little different set of connectors.
You’ll need to figure out which inputs your Xbox has before attaching it to your laptop. Although your laptop may have an HDMI connector, it is most likely an HDMI output port. This means the user can send or stream high-quality video and audio from the laptop to the external monitor, but not vice versa. This might be a problem because it means you won’t be able to connect your Xbox to your laptop via the HDMI wire.
A necessary stage in this approach is to find a laptop with an HDMI input port. Whether you can link the two gadgets or not using this way depends on whether your laptop has an HDMI input port.
Step 3: Connecting to the Xbox.
• Turn off your Xbox 360 console.
• Make sure you have unplugged any AV cables that may be plugged into your Xbox 360 and removed all game discs before proceeding.
• Plug your 1.3 HDMI AV cable into the appropriate port on your Xbox 360 and make sure not to plug it through any of its regular ports!
• Plug the other end into the laptop’s HDMI port of your laptop.
• Power up your Xbox 360.
• Go to system settings from My Xbox.
• Go to the video and select the appropriate high-definition settings that match your laptop.
• Now everything is ready, and you can start gaming.
How to Connect Xbox 360 with a Laptop without HDMI Cables?
What happens if you don’t have access to an HDMI cable? What if the laptop you’re going to use doesn’t have an input port of an HDMI? Will you take this step? I will describe how to wirelessly link the two gadgets in this phase.
In order to create a wireless connection network, you’ll need the following items:
• Wireless Wi-Fi connection or Ethernet connection.
• Xbox account.
• A laptop Screen
Therefore, before we begin, make sure your laptop has Microsoft Windows 10 installed. It is also connected to a Wi-Fi or an Ethernet connection.
Step 1: Connect to the internet via a wireless or Ethernet connection.
This procedure will necessitate the use of an Ethernet connection. Make sure that your laptop is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi.
Step 2: Log into your Xbox account and connect the two devices.
Please sign in to your Xbox Live account. However, if you don’t already have an Xbox Live account, you must first create one.
Here’s the procedure. Follow this:
• Open your laptop and click on the windows. Go to “Play,” and you will see “Xbox Console Companion” there.
• Go ahead and open that up. This may take e few minutes.
• If it is not downloaded, then download it.
• Allow additional devices for game streaming from your laptop by going to the laptop settings.
• Now go to the “Connection” that is at the left-bottom of your screen.
• Click on it, and a page will pop up telling you to “Add a device.” Go there and click on “connect it.”
• Now, look at the top of your screen and press “Stream.” Now you see it is being connected to the Xbox.
• Press continue, and now it is connected.
• To check correctly, move the controller down, and you see the cursor is going down. And it is mimicking exactly in the Xbox.
Let’s go ahead and open battlefield 1. Now battlefield 1 is on your laptop. Now you may go to the main menu and click on it to hear the music. Go to the home page again. As you can see, everything is working now.
Using USB HDMI Adapter
You can still play Xbox on a laptop screen even if it lacks an HDMI port. A USB adapter (HDMI) on a USB port can be used to connect such a laptop to an HDMI input for a cabled internal network. Likewise, you can look for bargains on any other reputable e-commerce website. Finally, selecting a video capture card will cause slowness, and the image quality will be lower than it would be if the laptop and Xbox 360 consoles were connected wirelessly.
Other Xbox Functions
There might be a possibility that you may have to take a small pause while you are playing the game to check and react to certain calls. And you have no choice but to pause and respond in between the connected streams.
Luckily, unlike a PC or Mac, users won’t have to quit the game and walk to the laptop or smartphone to replay or answer Skype calls. Without having to unhook the wire from your TV, you’ll be able to take these calls and even talk with your dear ones.
Advantages of Using a Laptop as a Monitor for Xbox 360
• If you are using your laptop as a monitor for Xbox 360, you don’t have to buy any gaming monitor or any TV. That’s cost-effective.
• A laptop as a monitor will make your experience sharper and faster. You won’t get the same response time from a television.
• A laptop gives you the facility of portability. You can play games on it even if you are in your cousin’s house or outside your home.
• If you are used to playing Xbox games on TV, your family members may not like it always because TV is not only for you but for the use of all the family members.
• Usually, TV is situated in the living room, so if any guests come you home, you won’t be able to play on it. So in this situation, you can use your gaming laptop for playing Xbox games.
• Laptop monitors are not as big as TV monitors. So if you like to play on big screens, you are not going to get that on a laptop.
• If you are used to playing on TV sitting on the sofa in your living room, and you are suddenly switching to a laptop, then you may feel a bit of discomfort.
How to Use a MacBook Pro as a Monitor for Xbox 360?
Many people have asked if the MacBook Pro might be used as a monitor for the Xbox 360 through HDMI. The answer is a straightforward yes if you fall into this category.
Here’s how to do this:
- It is feasible to use the screen of your MacBook Pro as a display for your gaming consoles, but you will need external support to do so. The Elgato EyeTV Hybrid is one of the greatest pieces of gear for this. Purchase it.
- Connect your Xbox 360’s video, and audio input cables to the coaxial jack chambers (input) on the insertion cable’s one end. Then, on the side of the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid, plug the insertion cable into the compartment provided for it.
- Connect the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid to one of your MacBook Pro’s USB ports like any other USB device. When you connect it to your Mac, you’ll notice that the application begins to operate automatically.
- Your Mac will display a blue screen. This is due to the fact that the display is attached to the cord. Go on to the control option of your Elgato EyeTV Hybrid to repair this and get your Xbox 360 to display on your Mac. It’s located at the top of the app window.
Select ‘Controls’ from the drop-down menu. A drop-down box with options will appear. Select ‘Composite video input’ from the drop-down box. The blue screen should become black almost immediately. When you switch on the Xbox 360, it will appear on the computer screen.
- Among the first problems you’ll notice when you begin enjoying the game is that there’s a latency between what you see on your Mac screen and what you see that on the gamepad. This may cause your game experience to get muddled. Go to the ‘View option’ at the top of the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid to correct this.
- Then select ‘Display Options’ from the drop-down menu. Then select ‘Devices.’ It will display a submenu. A small ticked box with the term ‘Enable Timeshift’ printed alongside it is located just below the options’ Picture, Encoding, Info.’ Uncheck the box by clicking on it. Any latency issues should be resolved as a result of this.
- Activating full-screen mode on the desktop will eliminate any interruptions. Go to the view menu at the top of the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid window to enable full-screen mode. A box appears when you click on it. ‘Enter Full Screen’ should be selected.
Now, you can enjoy your MacBook as a monitor for your Xbox 360.
How to Play Xbox on a Laptop with HDMI?
• Plug one side of your HDMI cable into the Xbox 360’s HDMI port on the rear.
• Connect the other side of the HDMI cable to the HDMI input port of the laptop. To begin, power on the Xbox 360. The laptop should detect the new input and shift to HDMI mode immediately.
• If the mode swap does not happen automatically, go to your laptop display settings.
• From the dashboard, go to the “System Settings” menu on the Xbox 360. Adjust the display and resolution settings to your liking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Better To Play Xbox On A TV Or Monitor?
Unlike televisions, monitors give you a better experience with their lower input latency, faster response times, and better refresh rates. They’re more responsive, and they let you play competitive console games whereas TVs, With their large screens and affordable prices, are the perfect choice for gamers who want to game in vast spaces.
Is It Worth Getting A Gaming Monitor For Xbox 360?
Gaming monitors may outrun TVs and laptops as they provide faster response, less lag, etc. If you can afford to buy a gaming monitor for a better experience, then go for it.
Can I Use My Desktop As A Monitor For Xbox 360?
Things you will require are an Xbox 360 or another console, a desktop with HDMI input, and an HDMI connection. An input connection is necessary on the PC to which you will connect. Otherwise, you simply will not be able to use an HDMI cable to connect them both.