The TV can be used as a bigger monitor for our laptops. Laptops have smaller screens, and having a TV as an alternate bigger screen goes a long way when you’re watching a movie or giving a presentation.
You can easily cast your laptop screen onto your TV. There are several ways to do this. Today we’re going to discuss all the ways you can easily cast your laptop screen onto a TV.
In this article, we’ll discuss the Windows 10 methods of wireless screencasting. You won’t need any external cables or 3rd party applications to work these methods on a Smart TV.
Things to Check Before Casting Your Laptop Screen to Tv
- Before diving into the different methods of screencasting, make sure you have an internet-enabled Smart TV with casting capabilities. You cannot use these methods on a normal TV.
- To cast your laptop screen onto your Smart TV, make sure to connect your laptop and your TV to the same WiFi network. You can connect them through your router, or use your phone as a hotspot. This is crucial to all of these methods, as none of them will work if you don’t have your TV and laptop connected to the same WiFi network.
- Both your laptop and Smart TV must have Bluetooth enabled.
- Make sure both your laptop and your Smart TV support Miracast, or Screen Mirroring. Without these features, you might need a Google Chromecast device, an external Miracast Adapter, or an HDMI cable.
How to Cast Laptop Screen to TV Windows 10?
There are several ways to wirelessly cast your laptop screen on a Smart TV in Windows 10. And they’re all quite simple. We’ve discussed them below.
This method works best if your Smart/Android TV has Miracast built-in. Miracast is an application that helps users to cast other smart devices onto their TVs. To do this,
- First, go to your Smart TV’s apps menu. Open Miracast.
- Now go to your laptop’s Start menu.
- Go to the Settings option.
- Click on System.
A new window will appear with your laptop’s internal hardware settings. Click on Display.
Scroll down to the very bottom of the window. There, you’ll find an option called “Multiple displays“. Underneath you’ll see an option that says “Connect to a wireless display“. Click on that.
Now your laptop will show your Smart TVs name on your screen. Click on that, and within moments your laptop screen will automatically start casting on your Smart TV.
In case your Smart TV doesn’t have the Miracast app built-in, you can use this method instead.
- First of all, go to your Smart TV’s settings.
- Connect the TV with your WiFi network.
- Find Wi-Fi Direct Mode using the remote. Turn it on.
- Now go to Wi-Fi Direct Settings. The Smart TV should recognize your laptop on its own.
- Now, go to your laptop’s Settings.
- Click on Connected Devices.
- Click on Add a device. If it has a Bluetooth option, turn that on.
Your laptop should find your Smart TV. When it does, click on your TV’s name. It’ll connect automatically.
- Now, go to the Taskbar of your Windows 10.
- Click on the notifications area.
- Look for the “Project” option. If you can’t see it, click Expand, and you should see it. Click Project.
- You’ll see 4 options – PC Screen Only, Duplicate, Extend, and Second Screen Only.
- Select the Extend option.
- Below them, you’ll find another option saying “Connect to a Wireless Display“. Click that.
- Now you’ll find an option to connect your Smart TV. Select it.
- Now, your TV will ask you whether you want to connect to this specific device. Allow it.
- Your laptop screen will now mirror cast onto your TV.
This method uses the Google Chrome browser to cast your laptop screen onto a TV.
- First of all, connect your TV and laptop to the same WiFi network.
- Now, go to your laptop and open the Google Chrome browser.
- Go to options, a.k.a the 3 dots.
- Click on Cast.
- You’ll find a small window called Cast Tab. There you’ll find your Smart TV.
- Underneath you’ll find a small box called Sources.
- There you’ll find 3 options. Cast desktop, Cast tab, and Cast file.
- Select Cast Desktop.
- Now select your Smart TV.
- A new window will appear. It’ll show what parts of your screen will be shared on your TV.
- Click the box. Then click Share.
Now you can cast your laptop onto your TV through the Chrome Browser.
If you’re using Windows 10, you’ll see that Microsoft has an in-built browser in there. It’s called Microsoft Edge. You can just as easily cast your laptop screen onto a Smart TV through this browser. Connect your laptop and your TV to the same WiFi network beforehand.
- First, go to Microsoft Edge.
- Go to options.
- Go to More Tools. There you’ll find an option called “Cast Media to Device“. Click on that.
- Now you’ll find a similar small window called Cast Tab. If your TV and laptop are indeed connected to the same WiFi network, you should find your TV there.
- Click on Sources.
- Select Cast Desktop.
- Select your TV. Click the box. Click Share.
- Your laptop screen will now be cast onto your TV.
How to Fit Laptop Screen to TV Windows 10
Your laptop screen may not fit properly on your TV if they don’t have the same resolution. For example, if your TV has a 1920 x 1080 (FHD) resolution, but your laptop’s resolution is smaller, it may not fit properly on your TV. To fix this problem manually,
- Find out your TV’s resolution (whether it’s 4K, FHD, or HD)
- Go to your Windows 10 laptop’s Settings.
- Go to System.
- Go to Display, then click Advanced Display Settings.
- You’ll find a box called Resolution.
- Match whichever resolution your TV has – on your laptop, whether it’s 1920 x 1080, or 1366 x 768.
- Follow any of the aforementioned methods for casting.
- Now, your laptop screen will perfectly fit into your TV screen.
These are some of the easiest ways to wirelessly cast your laptop screen to a TV. We hope you’ve got enough information on how to cast and fit a laptop screen to a TV on Windows 10. Thanks for reading.